Friday, February 17, 2012

{A Burtch Fridge Staple}

If I am going to eat healthy and make better food choices during the week, I have to prepare.  Those days that I am forced to wing it, I head straight for the Ramen or Spaghetti O's.  That's no good, so these days, I am making meals that I can stick in the fridge and eat off for several days.  This is one of my favorites and it's pretty much a staple in my fridge.  When I was working in Florida, I would watch food Network during my lunch break.  I didn't cook at all at the time, so I think I was just amping myself up to take a chance and just do it!  One day, Bobby Flay made THIS meal and I fell in love!  I left work and immediately went to the store and bought everything I needed to make it for dinner.  It's super easy and really versatile.  I love it because I can get the boys to eat the same thing Kevin and I are eating, which is rare.  There something about the crisp veggies and warm pasta that make for a great combo.  I have been making a modified version to keep around for lunch during the week.  I am amping up the veggies and cutting out meat whenever possible, so it's a little different from Bobby's recipe, but yummy all the same.  Enjoy!

Photo Courtesy of Angel Kisses Photography, Inc.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound orzo, cooked al dente as directed on the package
  • 1 large cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
  • 1 tomato diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper diced
  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard 
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
Directions: Combine cooked orzo, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato and chickpeas in a large bowl. Place dill, vinegar, and mustard in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and stir well to combine. Top each serving with feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment